Re: CULT: Japanese Iris

Chris Hollinshead wrote:
> clip..... It is best to put some holes in the
> bottom and allow the plastic lined bogs to retard drainage but not
> prevent it. Some people do raise JI in pots in their ponds but the pots
> should be lifted after frost, the foliage cut off and the pots buried in
> the garden.
> Info provided by Ensata Gardens
> --
I agree with the above information on Japanese iris growing in colder
climates but I think and have actually observed that Japanese plants
growing in water do not have to establish deep roots and this is really
the problem with wintering them over. The established clumps will
actually heave out of the ground during the winter but those in dryer
ground ,in the same garden,with good deep root systems,do not and hence
survive Debby Wheeler Foxbrook Iris Zone 5.