Re: SHOW: Best criteria (was Queen Criteria)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SHOW: Best criteria (was Queen Criteria)
  • From: Debby Wheeler <foxbrook@javanet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:19:08 -0600 (MDT)

Jeff and Carolyn Walters wrote:

> Andrew Wheeler writes:
> >
> > I am not sure that I understand, but it sounds as if you are used to AIS
> > judging that favors the newest TBs for Queen regardless of the superior
> > merit of anything else.  SAY IT ISN"T SO! (clip)
> > A smaller flowered (possibly diploid) historic should not be held
> > back simply on the basis of year of introduction.
>
> Andy,
>

> on page C-69 of the Judges' Handbook (in the section on Selecting the Best
> Specimen of the Show):
>
> "This does not suggest that only the latest introduction can qualify for
> the honor, but an older variety of obviously outdated features should not
> be selected even if the entry is an excellent specimen for the variety".

I have always thought that the AIS Judges book was written with TBs in
mind and I really have trouble with this statement especially with
regards to Queen Of Show which I prefer to call "Best In Show" The
reason I do not like this is the part stating"obviously outdated
features". Siberian Iris come in all shapes/forms. And as a matter of
fact, a very outdated form,close to the species, if you think in those
terms, called Shaker's Prayer received the Morgan/Wood in 1996 and is a
wonderful iris.Tall Beardeds are the ones that become "outdated".As
judges we really need to let our RVP's know that that statement is not
fair and should be removed from the handbook! Debby Wheeler Foxbrook
Iris Zone 5