OT-BIO: Melanie and Karen Small, plus 2 questions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-BIO: Melanie and Karen Small, plus 2 questions
  • From: "Melanie J. Small" <mjsmall@unity.ncsu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:39:22 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings iris lovers.  I am a graduate student who has joined this list
on behalf of my mother, Karen, who does not own a computer (yet).
Although she is primarily a daylily fanatic, she does have a TB iris bed
and a few problems she is hoping you can provide some insight into.  She
lives in mid-Maryland in zone 6.  You will have to pardon my ignorance
as I pose these questions, as I am not an iris grower myself.
Unfortunately, living in an apartment restricts me to container

Here are the two problems:

1)  A few of her plants, Lacy Snowflake in particular, have abundant
foliage, but few bloomstalks.  This is Lacy Snowflake's second year
after division and it only has two bloomstalks.  Is it possible that it
is still recovering from the division, or could there be another

2)  Some of the leaves, but not all, on a few plants have an unusual
appearance.  She says the leaves can best be described as looking like
crepe paper, as though you had crushed the leaf in your hand (if such a
thing were possible) and it stayed that way.  Lacy Snowflake, Beverly
Sills, and Magic Man are the plants affected.

Any assistance with these problems will be greatly appreciated, and I
can tell you that my moher has been enjoying the bloom reports I have
read to her over the phone from the list.

Thank you,
Melanie Small
Raleigh, NC