Re: SHOW: Queen Criteria

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SHOW: Queen Criteria
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:05:13 -0600 (MDT)

Walter A. Moores wrote:
>  Also, in nearly all shows I have judged, the balloting was secret.

Just exactly what do you mean by secret?  Written on a  slip of paper
and handed to the Show Chairman?

The reason I ask is here in California most ballots for Best Speciman
(Queen of Show) is taken by a "show of hands".  I have always thought
that this was somewhat intimidating.  By intimidating I mean some judges
can be swayed by more aggressive judges.  Comments do go on during the
selection and I don't believe this is right.  I think that some of the
less aggressive judges would sometimes not vote what is in their hearts
and go along with the more aggressive judges.  I personally think
writting on a piece of paper and handing it to the show chair is the
most fair way to do it.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8....where we are now at PEAK TB bloom awaiting the arrival later
today of dear friend and HIPS guru Phil Edinger.