Re: SHOW: Queen Criteria

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SHOW: Queen Criteria
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:25:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:

> Walter A. Moores wrote:
> >
> >  Also, in nearly all shows I have judged, the balloting was secret.
> Walter,
> Just exactly what do you mean by secret?  Written on a  slip of paper
> and handed to the Show Chairman?
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California
> Zone 8....where we are now at PEAK TB bloom awaiting the arrival later
> today of dear friend and HIPS guru Phil Edinger.
	Rick, exactly as you described it.  Little slips of paper
(ballots) are given to the judges, they write down their preference, and
the show chairperson reads the results.  It has been a long time since
I saw the queen elected by a show of hands, and I agree that such a
procedure is intimidating.

	Our peak was reached ten days ago, and we are legally in Zone 7
but 8 is about ten miles away and that is the reason I always say 7/8.
Sounds like your bloom season was extended by the cool weather.  The
Louisianas are going downhill fast and the JI's are just beginning with
only SPRINGTIME SNOW open and others showing color.  A few daylilies are

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8