Judges selecting "Best of Show"

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Judges selecting "Best of Show"
  • From: "carrylmmeyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:10:12 -0600 (MDT)

In our area all the Judges discuss as they are judging the different
entries:  we use a 'green fuzzy' -really a round green sticker--and place
it on any tag where the flower is winning a Blue Ribbon and is a
potential'Best of Show".  After all the regular judging is completed, all
the flowers with 'green fuzzies' on them are brought to a separate
table--we then select best red, gold, blue etc--discussion going on
verbally.  After that, to choose 'Best of Show" each Judge is given a piece
of paper and each flower is then given a number--and the judge writes their
choice for first, second, etc,  These ballots are then counted, and the one
with the most votes for 'Best of Show' is thus decided.  If there is a tie,
then one or two are eliminated, and reballoting on paper is again done.
There must be verbal discussion of entries--how else does an Apprentice
learn? But the discussion must be done in such a manner as to not downgrade
an entry or say so many bad things that might make the exhibitor want to
never again enter a show.
As well as being an Iris Judge, I am also a Master Dahlia Judge, and
Superintendent of the Floriculture Department for our seven county fair--so
am aware of correct protocol.
If you are attending the meeting in Denver, attend the Judging session
after the RVP session, and ask questions there--that is the place to learn.