Re: CULT: Japanese Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Japanese Iris
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:43:30 -0600 (MDT)

JI listers,

Are there any of you in the dry Southwest?  Since the one I grow had
the durability to survive last year's house remodeling neglect and actually
has better color than the two years before, I'm hopeful that maybe success
can be achieved with a little planning and attention.  The variety I have
call NARA, the one that didn't survive GOLD BOUND.  Both were doing o.k.
with lots of TLC, but only NARA survived neglect.  Now I want to move it
this fall and devote the bed to LAs, so what are the sun requirements?
Will a JI tolerate some amount of shade?  If the soil is amended properly
and sufficient moisture maintained, does it still bloom better in full sun
will it perform as well with some shade.  Indications from reading re that
prefer full sun (but I wonder if that means Texas sun).

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7 between Abilene and Fort Worth and this year the beardless
have outperformed the beardeds - a spuria, SIB SEA SHADOWS and LA