Re: OT-BIO: Melanie and Karen Small, plus 2 questions

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-BIO: Melanie and Karen Small, plus 2 questions
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:40:02 -0600 (MDT)

Melanie,
> Greetings iris lovers.  I am a graduate student who has joined this list
> on behalf of my mother, Karen, who does not own a computer (yet).
> Although she is primarily a daylily fanatic, she does have a TB iris bed

     Welcome to the Iris List.  Dare I tell you that there is an online
Daylily Forum?  [Membership is limited to American Hemerocallis Society
Members only.]  There are some types of Irises that you could grow in
containers.

> 1)  A few of her plants, Lacy Snowflake in particular, have abundant
> foliage, but few bloomstalks.  This is Lacy Snowflake's second year
> after division and it only has two bloomstalks.  Is it possible that it
> is still recovering from the division, or could there be another
> culprit?

     To my understanding, Maryland has been having a very cloudy, wet
spring.  This will sometimes promote lush foliage with few blooms.  Also,
fertilizing too much can cause this.

> 2)  Some of the leaves, but not all, on a few plants have an unusual
> appearance.  She says the leaves can best be described as looking like
> crepe paper, as though you had crushed the leaf in your hand (if such a
> thing were possible) and it stayed that way.  Lacy Snowflake, Beverly
> Sills, and Magic Man are the plants affected.

     This is almost certainly weather related.  A late freeze can cause
leaves to grow like this, as can overabundant moisture.  Once the weather
returns to normal, the new leaves will not have this symptom.

Mark A. Cook
billc@atlantic.net
Dunnellon, Florida.