Re: Selecting "Best of Show"

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Selecting "Best of Show"
  • From: Dorothy "irisnut" Willott <Dorothy.Willott@gte.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:13:27 -0600 (MDT)

There are three iris shows that I usually enter, as well as work at, and these are small shows with generally 150
to 200 specimens entered.  Therefore, we normally have only one panel of three judges.  They discuss the
merits of possible candidates for "Best of Show" and come to an agreement without showing hands or using
paper ballots.  Wish we had shows large enough to need the other methods.

I also feel the statement in the Judges Handbook about "outdated" irises is unfair.  Our shows encourage a
diversity of types of irises being entered, not just TBs, so we get some non-TBs winning.  But sometimes, the
judges do get carried away with number of open blooms, rather than quality.  We need more judges in the area
both for judging shows and for visiting gardens.  As hybridizers, we get frustrated with being unable to get
judges to see our seedlings.