Bloom report-Capitol Grounds in Sacramento,CA

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Bloom report-Capitol Grounds in Sacramento,CA
  • From: "Zelma McDaniel" <zelma@directcon.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 02:26:27 -0600 (MDT)

------=_NextPart_000_00DF_01BD7D46.76C8DD60

    My Husband and I went to Sacramento which is about 59 miles from our =
home.  Our daughter for Xmas had bought us tickets to see Riverdance at =
the Community Theater.  We stayed overnight and the nex morning spent a =
delightful sunny three hours exploring the beautiful Capital grounds. =20
    There were two large circular area of Iris , one on each side of the =
walk leading down to the back side of the Capitol..  One  of the beds we =
didn't explore close up.  It seemed to have almost completed its bloom.  =
We spent about an hour admiring the blooms in the second one. All of =
their Iris were identified:
    Some of the ones that especially caught our eye were:
TB African Night by Edgar Sellman, 1985
TB First Dawn by Eonnie Madison -1987
TB Austrian Garnets by Bill Maryotts -1991
TB Ruffled Goddess by Richard Tasco 1993
TB Peach Bisque by Bill Maryott-1987  (very prolific)
TB Virginis Squire by Larry Gaulter-1973
TB Quadros' Pride by LLoyd McCord 1993  (Huge blooms)
TB Coffee Royal by Merril Grant  1961
TB Pink Gala by Vern Wood 1990
TB Mohr Pretender by Rich I (Jonne) 1978
    There were a lot that had already bloomed so could not compare them. =
 It was great to see some of our Iris-L  people represented.
    Another treat for me because there has been so much discussion about =
ponds and growing Irises in them on the Iris -L recently was the area =
dedicated to the Spanish American War Veterans.
    In a lovely serene fenced area with a moving stream  circling the =
statute were about 7 huge bunches of Iris growing in the wateralong with =
other water plants.  I was unable to identify the kinds of Iris since I =
have no knowledge and never having seen any before. I have not taken the =
time to try and identify them from pictures.  There were two kinds in =
bloom. One wider and white and yellow.  The other was a much narrower =
flower  colored with  fuscia and light purple & white.
    There were many other plants blooming and the rose gardens were =
outstanding as well as the fantastic variety of huge trees that lined =
the walk way and were through out the grounds.  All  the trees  were =
oidentified and we were given a sheet inside the Capitol that diagrammed =
and listed  all the varieties.=20
    We were in awe  at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  The presentation =
was stunning and poignant with the statues and the solid walls of names. =
The surrounding landscaping adding to the serenity which gave one time =
to reflect on tragedy of this war in which so many of  our youth gave =
their lives. =20
    There was a lot of contraversy at the time this memorial was being =
built but no matter how one feels about this War, I  am glad that our =
Service men are=20
so aptly immortalized.

Zelma McDaniel  Zone 7-- Sierra FootHills where I have 200 varities with =
bloom stalks but no sun to open them.   I wonder if they can wait out =
the Storms.
"One touch of Nature makes the whole world Kin"  Willaim Shakespeare=20
=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_00DF_01BD7D46.76C8DD60

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My Husband and I =
went to=20
Sacramento which is about 59 miles from our home.&nbsp; Our daughter for =
Xmas=20
had bought us tickets to see Riverdance at the Community Theater.&nbsp; =
We=20
stayed overnight and the nex morning spent a delightful sunny three =
hours=20
exploring the beautiful Capital grounds.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There were two =
large circular=20
area of Iris , one on each side of the walk leading down to the back =
side of the=20
Capitol..&nbsp; One&nbsp; of the beds we didn't explore close up.&nbsp; =
It=20
seemed to have almost completed its bloom.&nbsp; We spent about an hour =
admiring=20
the blooms in the second one. All of their Iris were =
identified:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Some of the ones =
that=20
especially caught our eye were:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>TB African Night by Edgar Sellman,=20
1985</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2>TB First Dawn =
by Eonnie=20
Madison -1987</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Austrian Garnets by Bill Maryotts =
-1991</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Ruffled Goddess by Richard Tasco =
1993</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Peach Bisque by Bill Maryott-1987&nbsp; (very=20
prolific)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Virginis Squire by Larry =
Gaulter-1973</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Quadros' Pride by LLoyd McCord 1993&nbsp; (Huge=20
blooms)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Coffee Royal by Merril Grant&nbsp; =
1961</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Pink Gala by Vern Wood 1990</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>TB Mohr Pretender by Rich I (Jonne) =
1978</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000 =
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There=20
were a lot that had already bloomed so could not compare them.&nbsp; It =
was=20
great to see some of our Iris-L&nbsp; people represented.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Another treat for =
me because=20
there has been so much discussion about ponds and growing Irises in them =
on the=20
Iris -L recently was the area dedicated to the Spanish American War=20
Veterans.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In a lovely =
serene fenced=20
area with a moving stream&nbsp; circling the statute were about 7 huge =
bunches=20
of Iris growing in the wateralong with other water plants.&nbsp; I was =
unable to=20
identify the kinds of Iris since I have no knowledge and never having =
seen any=20
before. I have not taken the time to try and identify them from =
pictures.&nbsp;=20
There were two kinds in bloom. One wider and white and yellow.&nbsp; The =
other=20
was a much narrower flower&nbsp; colored with&nbsp; fuscia and light =
purple=20
&amp; white.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There were many =
other plants=20
blooming and the rose gardens were outstanding as well as the fantastic =
variety=20
of huge trees that lined the walk way and were through out the =
grounds.&nbsp;=20
All&nbsp; the trees&nbsp; were oidentified and we were given a sheet =
inside the=20
Capitol that diagrammed and listed&nbsp; all the =
varieties.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We were in =
awe&nbsp; at the=20
Vietnam Veterans Memorial.&nbsp; The presentation was stunning and =
poignant with=20
the statues and the solid walls of names. The surrounding landscaping =
adding to=20
the serenity which gave one time to reflect on tragedy of this war in =
which so=20
many of&nbsp; our youth gave their lives.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There was a lot of contraversy at =
the time=20
this memorial was being built but no matter how one feels about this =
War,=20
I&nbsp; am glad that our Service men are </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>so aptly immortalized.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Zelma McDaniel&nbsp; Zone 7-- Sierra FootHills where =
I have=20
200 varities with bloom stalks but no sun to open them.&nbsp;&nbsp; I =
wonder if=20
they can wait out the Storms.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&quot;One touch of Nature makes the whole world=20
Kin&quot;&nbsp; Willaim Shakespeare&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DF_01BD7D46.76C8DD60--