REF: plural of iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: REF: plural of iris
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 08:06:53 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings, all. I've missed your chatty company for the past two weeks, but
now I'm back on-line, eager to batter you with my silly questions once
again. And here is one that bugs the dickens out of me: Why do so many
clubs insist upon using "iris" as a plural noun? Where does this custom
originate? The plural is "irises," is it not?

Is this practice the verbal equivalent of tea time's pointy pinky, or is
there  a fascinating linguistic history to be told here?

Little Rock ... where I'm fuzzily trying to recover a Central Time Zone
sleep schedule after having become very well-adjusted to San Diego sunsets.
Our San Diego list members are superior people, by the way: kind,
considerate, friendly and smart. And those Rochas are even good-looking.