Re: I. tectorum variegatum again

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: I. tectorum variegatum again
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:09:37 -0600 (MDT)

>By ''stoloniferous'' do you mean that the rhizome is more like a trailing stem
>of the fan as opposed to having the fan arise obliquely from the rhizome?

A stolon is a long, thin stem which extends out from the rhizome, usually
undergound, and forms a new rhizome at some distance from the old one.  A
more common name is "runner."

This habit occurs here and there in irises.  The more tropical crested
irises are the best example; I. cristata has short stolons.  Iris
stolonifera, a regelia, also produces stolons, as you might suspect, but
they are generally rather short, about 4-6" long.  A few other arils also
produce short stolons.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College