HIPSource Desperately Seeking LA PERLE

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIPSource Desperately Seeking LA PERLE
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:01:32 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings:

This Spring we have been helping with an important and highly visible garden
restoration at the Frederick Law Omsted National Historic Site in Brookline,
Massachusettes. This site, run by the National Parks Service, includes the
home and offices of the prominent landscape architect and theorist whose firm
was responsible for Central Park, Biltmore, and many other major commissions
in the early years of this century. The gardens are interpreted as 1920's
plantings, and we have been working for several months to find rare irises to
restore them. Many of the irises on the original plan have been lost and close
substutions have been made. However, some of the substitutions are getting
rare as well. As we wrap up this project for this year we learn that our
source for one of these irises has fallen through. We hope you can help us.

We need to locate a quantity of LA PERLE (Caperne '01). We can use up to
fifty, but ANYquantity whatsoever would be useful. The garden will pay for the
plants. We hope someone out there can help us out.

If you are growing LA PERLE and could spare a few rhizomes for a very good
cause, please contact me off list. This is an especially worthwhile project
for HIPS, and for the iris community at large.

Thank you so much.

Anner Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society,AIS