Re:OT: plural of octopus...

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re:OT: plural of octopus...
  • From: Chris Hollinshead <cris@netcom.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:19:47 -0600 (MDT)

Ann Pearce wrote:

> The official plural of octopus is octopodes, as the word originally comes
> from Greek, rather than Latin....in which case irides would seem a definite
> possibility!

Your official plural version would seem to differ somewhat from the accepted
dictionary plural and from what I learned at school.... any further on this
should probably go off list as starting to get far OT.
Main Entry: oc7to7pus
Pronunciation: 'dk-t&-p&s, -"pus
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -pus7es or oc7to7pi /-"pI/
Etymology: New Latin Octopod-, Octopus, from Greek oktOpous
Date: 1758
1 : any of a genus (Octopus) of cephalopod mollusks that have eight muscular
arms equipped with two rows of suckers; broadly : any octopod excepting the
paper nautilus
2 : something that resembles an octopus especially in having many centrally
directed branches

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI