HYB: Mike Suttons 100,000 seedlings

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HYB: Mike Suttons 100,000 seedlings
  • From: Chad Schroter <Chad.Schroter@qntm.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:17:40 -0600 (MDT)

Just for fun I did some calculations using 100,000 seedlings:

Assume 1 square foot per seedling and paths take up 1/3 of the field.

Space required : (1square foot per seedling x 100000) / (43,560 sqft per
acre x Path factor .66) = 3.44 acres!

How much time do we have to evaluate each bloom ?
Well lets assume they bloom over a 30 day period, and we only need to
look at each seedling once to make up our minds (yeh right) and we work
8 hours excluding lunch breaks.

(30days x 8 hour days x 60 min/hr x 60 sec/min) / (100000) = an average
of 8.64 seconds per seedling of time available for evaluation!

How far do we have to walk in 8 hours each day ?
Assume 208.7 ft per row (1 acre) and 35 rows per acre

Walking Distance: (208.7 x 35 x 3.44) / 5280 feet per mile = 4.76 miles
per day !

I don't even want to think about planting, weeding, spraying, culling
and logging all the seedling data....

Hope you have lots of good help Mike !

We have a nice price on our Quantum 10Gigabyte drive coming out right
now - sounds like you could use several to save all this data

Chad Schroter :,) (tongue in cheek )
Los Gatos CA Zone 9