new seedlings

Dear Friends: Here goes a second try to get this information to you. It has
been a good season here. The tornatoes and the hail storms manged to miss
us, and I am grateful.  The most exciting new seedlings have been in my
attempts to get reblooming Space-Agers, - or just Space-Agers occasionally.

     NN 32 has been a very good cross. it is from my KK 130 "Flying" , a
double grandchild of ANNE BOLEYN, by pollen of Monty Byers' GODSEND.  NN
32-9-2 is an orchid with red beards ending in bright purple fuzz. I took a
stalk along to the Charlotte Iris Show, (having first asked permission to
bring seedlings, and of course not judging that division. ) It managed to
win first place!! A sibling, NN 32 LAST has just come into bloom; it is an
apricot-pink with self flounces, some white in the falls.
     Even later is PP 56, which opened only yesterday. It is a big white
with flounces, excellent in form and substance, and is from NN 32-2-3 X
Mesmerizer. Unlike its "papa" the seedling's red beards are readily seen,
and add to the excitement. I found it in the evening, in the rain!. its
pollen was wet and spoiled. Hopefully the next blooms will have some, but
almost all other beardeds are over with!
     Just a few days ago I found RR 49-1-1, similar to the above but a
creamy yellow, -really a white with yellow influences. I rushed out the
next morning to collect pollen  , - - and it had none. But since then it
has produced good pollen! What a lucky break!
     One cross that has been very useful is OO 33 RENOWN X MESMERIZER. It
gives width of haft, size and good substance. OO 33 4-1 is an amoena with
tiny horns, and OO 33C-6-1 is a neglecta with big flounces, to which I gave
the nickname Superba. There were other siblings as well.
     A novelty , a lavender-orchid with orange influences, had flounces,
witha sort of "dish" at the end, and the inside of the "dish" is orange!
     Mike Lowe put a picture of OO 24 Sweet Sixteen on the web. It is a
white with similar "dishes" on the end of the flounces, and each is filled
with petaloids of white and yellow, all frilled. You can guess that
Mesmerizer is its parent.
     Lloyd Zurbrigg in Durham NC   Thank goodness for the spurias and
Louisianas and Japanese to keep the season going.