MED: Extra Parts

Maureen Mark writes:

>  I've noticed a few medians, particularly
> SDBs, this year have put our four falls on terminal buds, when they have
> never done this before.  The only difference that I can think of is the
> mild,  short winter and long warm spring that we've had.  Have you had
> experience?

About half the terminal buds on BLUE POOLS, which began blooming here this
week, have been opening with four parts throughout (standards, style arms,
and falls). This is not too unusual with this cultivar, but seems to be
affecting a higher proportion of the blooms this year. Also, the blue spot
on the falls is much paler and less distinct than normal (another local
grower has made the same observation). We had a mild winter, but have been
having a chilly, wet spring so far.