Re: Stalk strength in Minn. vs. Ark

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Stalk strength in Minn. vs. Ark
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 07:25:01 -0600 (MDT)

>Bill Shear wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible that a difference in sun exposure is responsible?  I've
>> found that irises grown in full sun have sturdier, stronger stalks than
>> those that are partly shaded.
>>
>> Is the exposure to light comparable in the two gardens?
>
>If nothing else there is a difference in the insolation because of the
>difference in Latitude.

Which, however, would mean less sun in Minnesota, where the stalks are
reportedly sturdier.  I suspect however that exposure would be much more
significant than latitude in this respect.  The difference isn't that great.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943