Re: Mike Suttons 100,000 seedlings

Hi Chad,

> Just for fun I did some calculations using 100,000 seedlings:
> Assume 1 square foot per seedling and paths take up 1/3 of the field.
> Space required : (1square foot per seedling x 100000) / (43,560 sqft per
> acre x Path factor .66) = 3.44 acres!

We actually have about 7 or 8 acres of seedlings, including reselects
> How much time do we have to evaluate each bloom ?
> Well lets assume they bloom over a 30 day period, and we only need to
> look at each seedling once to make up our minds (yeh right) and we work
> 8 hours excluding lunch breaks.

Two of us do it, during bloom season  we spend half the day hybridizing the
other half checking seedlings, I can't remember the last time I only worked
8 hours in a day!  In April I worked for four weeks straight, no days off,
but it's all fun, right!? :-)
> (30days x 8 hour days x 60 min/hr x 60 sec/min) / (100000) = an average
> of 8.64 seconds per seedling of time available for evaluation!

It's real easy to spot the ugly ones, which is most of them.
> How far do we have to walk in 8 hours each day ?
> Assume 208.7 ft per row (1 acre) and 35 rows per acre
> Walking Distance: (208.7 x 35 x 3.44) / 5280 feet per mile = 4.76 miles
> per day !

That's about right!  I figured about 5 miles and I lose weight every
spring.  (probably a good thing)
> I don't even want to think about planting, weeding, spraying, culling
> and logging all the seedling data....

All mechanized with a good crew.
> Hope you have lots of good help Mike !
> We have a nice price on our Quantum 10Gigabyte drive coming out right
> now - sounds like you could use several to save all this data

You may be right ours only has 8 point something gig.
> Chad Schroter :,) (tongue in cheek )
> Los Gatos CA Zone 9

You may be only "tongue in cheek" but the scary part is you are pretty darn
Thanks for the levity