Re: Stalk strength in Minn. vs. Ark

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Stalk strength in Minn. vs. Ark
  • From: bstassen@comp.uark.edu (Robert E. Stassen)
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 10:54:24 -0600 (MDT)

Thanks to Jeff, Walter, John and Bill for thinking about this puzzle of soil
fertility.

On the issue of sun--this issue occurs throughout my beds, irrespective of
sun, which varies from mostly morning, to mostly afternoon, to full sun all
day.  Days are longer in Minn. now, and TB on Madeline Island (on Lake
Superior) are even taller (though sturdier, I'm not sure).  There might be
something to this.

On the issue of phosphorus, I'm more familiar with it's limited availability
under high pH conditions--but this won't reconcile with high pH conditions
in western Minnesota (7.6+), but Jeff comments reminded me of the  problems
under low pH as well.  Working in soil testing lab, we would pull samples
for P analysis that were from high pH soils for a separate analysis (due to
conventional analysis which would understate available P).

I grew TB in Nebraska, and never noticed the difference in stalk strength,
because it was so slight--I became really aware of it here in Arkansas, and
particularly last weekend while in MN.

My plan to deal with this is to have "dedicated" TB beds, with additional
lime and P.  Bottom line,  I need more land.