Weird year for Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Weird year for Irises
  • From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 20:15:41 -0600 (MDT)

SHOOT THE MOON, a Byers SA bloomed a lovely extra large flower today...with
no horns...no standards  but it made up for it by producing 4 falls, each
with a nice normal beard.  It had style arms about 1" tall.  Had the
appearance of a JA. Ernie took pictures of it from every angle....  Most
exciting thing to happen around here since STEPPING OUT bloomed with 1 long
horn.   Oh, yes....we have 3 little signets so far, 2 cobs and 1 pen.
Honey Bea and Robbie are the proud parents.  She is still on the nest but
we don't know how many more eggs she has.  Now if we can keep the turtle
away from the lake...  As to our other irises, we are approaching peak.
Some with crooked stalks, lazy stalks, empty terminal buds, ugly foliage,
many that aren't going to bloom at all.  We had quite a bit of rot but not
the stinky type.  Mostly in the raised beds that have been planted for 3
years...scheduled to be lifted and divided this year.
Maybe they were too thick.  We treated them with Comet and the increases
seem to be okay. LET'S BOOGIE, NEW CENTURIAN AND EMPEROR'S DELIGHT are
spectacular. Our show is coming up Sunday and it looks like we'll have a
few to take after all.  Crazy year...TARHEEL ELF, a little black SDB with a
blue beard, by Dave Niswonger is blooming furiously.  It's usually among
the first.  I may take it to the show!        Ann Henson, Zone 5/6  S.
Central Il where the back of my neck is sunburned...finally.