RE: broken seed pod

I'm really sorry to hear that, Rusty.  I can relate but in my case, the
culprit was my 3-year with a stick who whacked my clump of the tulip
"Maureen" the night before the Spring Bulb Show.  It had just opened four
nice blooms and he'd whacked every single stalk.

Out of interest, what did you cross it with?

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4) -- where Immortality is the first TB in bloom and
Sunray Reflection is unfurling.