re: Ryan's strange stalk, and El Meano comments

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: re: Ryan's strange stalk, and El Meano comments
  • From: Chad Schroter <Chad.Schroter@qntm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:42:10 -0600 (MDT)

	I completely renovated a bed this year, I carefully dug all the
iris, rototilled, and topped with 6 - 12 inches of compost. Despite my best
efforts to remove all of a small clump of Caesars Brother several leaves are
showing through where it used to be. The point I make is that even if you
think that you have removed all of some other SIB before you planted S. nana
alba there probably was an old rhizome left there (or perhaps imported with
your S. nana alba clump) which is generating this bloom stalk. The highly
unlikely alternative would be a 'sport' or spontaneous new hybrid which
arises from the parent tissue as if it were a graft from another plant. This
very, very rarely happens (Several roses were discovered this way) and I am
not sure if it is even possible in Iris. Anyways apply Occams Razor if you
know what I mean.

	On another note el Meano here is annoying my wife with all the extra
rain (it NEVER rains in May in the Bay Area) but the garden has never looked
better. All of those marginal perennials which are really best suited for a
cooler climate are flourishing as the are supposed to - truly a Spring of a
Ryan wrote:
	I have a most unordinary thing happening. I noticed off to the side
	of my Iris sibirica nana alba patch (a 6" white siberian)another
	coming up, slightly taller, with more purple pigment in the stems
	spathes than the others. This is now showing color, and it is deep
	There is no chance that it could be anything else. What could it be?

	here peak bloom is occurring

Chad Schroter
Los Gatos Zone 9