Re: OT: How do non-commercial people ship plant material around the U

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: How do non-commercial people ship plant material around the U
  • From: SOkase <SOkase@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:59:46 -0600 (MDT)

A few years ago when I started trading plants with other irisarians I was
concerned about this too. I called and asked the Department of Agriculture
about the rules of mailing plant material.  D of A (at least in my state,
anyway) said as a backyard gardener, I can mail plants anywhere except
California and Hawaii without special inspections or permits. However, I
assume I told them they were bare root iris, rules may be different for potted
plants (you didn't specify what you were wanting to send but I assumed bare
root irises). You should check with your local D of A. By the way, FYI, I send
irises to California all the time. When I take the boxes down to the post
office, I do not fill out any special paperwork and the cost of sending a
small box is minimal, about $5 to $7. The postal workers know me as the Iris
Guy and have not yet stopped me from sending my boxes even to California.
Either they don't know the rules or don't care. I hope I don't get arrested
(maybe this year) when I send a box to California the next time.

Iris Maniac,
Sterling (not Innerst)
Seattle, WA. Zone 8