CULT: Bloom report and other stuff

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: CULT: Bloom report and other stuff
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 21:55:51 -0600 (MDT)

Well, Little Louie finally bloomed, darker than spring and with scant
beards, but holding on after 3 days. Magic Child started opening while
still enclosed by leaves. It popped out this morning and got chewed to
shreds by a slug. Witching is still trying....Ho Hum!
50% of my soaked and stratified TB's have germinated this week. They are
growing in seed raising mix. Can anyone tell me if these will need a
liquid feed before planting out? (some are 1.5" tall)
I have been watching them closely and am sure at least two seeds have
put up pairs of seedlings (twins). I have read about this and will be
watching these pairs closely to see what they produce. What experience
have others had with this phenomenon?
Can anyone who has grown LA's from seed give me some tips? I'm expecting
a small quantity in the mail shortly. They are collected from bee pods,
from a test garden. Should I treat them as I did the TB's, or would
knicking the seed coat with a knife be better?
Regards, Jan Clark, in Australia