RE: How do non-commercial people ship plant material around the U

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: How do non-commercial people ship plant material around the U
  • From: Mark.Maureen@FIN.GC.CA
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:25:09 -0600 (MDT)

The rules say that you require a phytosanitary certificate and the costs
vary by state.  However, I did receive a parcel without the
phytosanitary and the customs sticker said iris.  I wouldn't guarantee
it though.  You are permitted, however, to transport bareroot plants
across the border.  It is only when they are shipped that the
phytosanitary is required.  I know people who regularly have their
orders sent to friends just across the border and then drive over to
pick them up.  Another method is to send to a friend in a border town
and they can cross the border and drop it in a mailbox.

Last year, I sent a parcel to Rusty.  As it was only a few plants, I had
to schedule an appointment with the inspector and bring them to the
office to get the certificate.

Hope this is helpful.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4) -- just bloomed today are Triplet and Apricot
Drops, record high temperatures expected