OT-CHAT: Weird year

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT-CHAT: Weird year
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:39:51 -0600 (MDT)

Walta asks:
>	Since it is strangely hazy here, I am wondering if what I am
>seeing outside is some of the smoke from the Mexican forest fires.  The
>newspaper this morning said the smoke was in Louisiana, and I think the
>south wind has blown it this way.

It is ugly gray here. The paper blames smog from forest fires in Mexico.
The AP says these fires happen down there every year, but usually their
local rain knocks down the particulates. This year there's been precious
little rain there. Parts of Texas are under health alert. So far our
Arkansas air is still "healthy" but it's very dark out and ugly-looking.
They say today will be the worst of it, and then the trailing edge of the
front that's terrorizing Oklahoma and Kansas will clear our smog out.

Oddly enough, the cloud cover hasn't suppressed temps. We've been in the
90s for a week. Older iris fans are collapsing off the plants. The daffs
and tulips gave up collecting food overnight.
I was out of town for two weeks and unable to squish aphids. Apparently in
consequence, leaf spot has run amok in my TBs.

BOB WARD finally finished its bloom Thursday.
Only my little I. versicolor CAT MOUSAM and - believe it - STEPPING OUT are
still in bloom. But RECURRING DREAM is sending up two spikes! Rick Tasco
speaks so highly of it as a rebloomer, I am very curious to see this fella
face to face.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock