Cult: Bloom STARLIGHT STARBRIGHT

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Cult: Bloom STARLIGHT STARBRIGHT
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:37:13 -0600 (MDT)

	One of the most unusual Louisianas irises I have ever grown is
finally down to its last bloom.  I have been wanting to report on this for
about two weeks now but wanted to wait until the last bloom had opened
before writing.

	You may know that Marvin Granger, the hybridizer of this plant,
gave us the cartwheel form as well as double Louisianas.  Years ago in the
collecting era, he found a double LA in the swamps, rescued it, and has
hybridized this line for years.

	STARLIGHT STARBRIGHT is like no other Louisiana.  The terminal
bloom was a cartwheel in creamy white with a tiny golden yellow dart
signal.  The second bloom was a semi-double and the remaining blooms were
completely double.  Another interesting feature is the style arms are
'frilled' like DELTA STAR, an other Granger variety.  My source for this
plant, Marie Caillet, says that she has tested the plant for several years
and it is consistent in these variations though different bud positions
may not always display the same form.  So, it looks like we may have a
"Thornbird" in Louisianas now with each flower doing its own little thing.

	Marie says this was introduced this year by Bobo Faggard of
Beaumont, TX.  Farron Campbell, Lone Star Gardens, has it too, but I don't
know if it is available from him or not.

	STARLIGHT STARBRIGHT surely is a Deballion Medal winner in a few
years.  Could a LA also win the Dykes??

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8