Re: Cult: Bloom STARLITE STARBRITE

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Cult: Bloom STARLITE STARBRITE
  • From: "J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey" <storey@aristotle.net>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:39:54 -0600 (MDT)

>	Marie says this was introduced this year by Bobo Faggard of
>Beaumont, TX.  Farron Campbell, Lone Star Gardens, has it too, but I don't
>know if it is available from him or not.

Walta, I'm looking at Farron's catalog, and he's got it for sale at $8.
Read his descrip, though:

STARLITE STARBRITE (Granger '89) 24" M. Cartwheel-form (all falls) white.
Has a blue cast when newly opened, but rapidly transforms to pure white.
Elongated orange crest over yellow-green signal on all petals. Green style
arms tipped with white. Limited supply.

>	STARLIGHT STARBRIGHT surely is a Deballion Medal winner in a few
>years.  Could a LA also win the Dykes??

Dream on. Marie Caillet says that of the 900-some-odd judges who get to
vote on the Dykes, only 200 vote LAs for anything. Either they don't see
them grown or the ones they do see grown are so poorly managed they don't
look like medalists.

You know (just wool-gathering here), if AIS wanted a place to convene in
which LAs, Spurias and TBs might be seen in bloom all at the same time, San
Diego would be ideal. The county's so big and abounding in microclimates
these plants can be brought in at once. :-) We'd have to convince a bunch
more of their club members to grow LAs and spurias (and a bunch more people
to join the club), but the plants do very well there. In May I saw happy
landscape plantings of LAs in median strips on Coronado and in residential
areas north of Balboa Park. The plants looked terrific even though they
were living on drip irrigation.

Hey, did anyone on-line attend the '75 convention in San Diego?

.. That plop you just heard was Steve and Sharlyn Rocha falling backwards
off their chairs. Don't faint, Rochas, it's just my little daydream. I
really, really like your part of the world. A convention would be a good
excuse to return.

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock