OT; STRAY DOGS

JOHN:
  I appreciate your concern, but it isn't always easy.  I live in the
country and I don't think we can get that kind of help.  Stray dogs are
picked up in town by the control officer, but there is no pound and I
expect many are disposed of after several days, if not claimed by their
owners.  In the country I would expect it is up to the Sheriff's
department and they have better things to do and would probably not even
respond to something so minor.  It's too bad that folks who tire of
their animals think that we people in the country can take them on.
It's quite a problem for us.  The last time I was the recipient of a
large dog I advertised in the local paper.  There was no response from
the owner, and that car-chasing animal soon met his demise on our
country road where the traffic (cars and trucks) travel faster than they
should.
  Believe me, I do like animals.  And I'm sure your Wraith is a real joy
as well as a gentleman.  My peeve is with folks who have animals and
don't take care of them, or abandon them for others to adopt or dispose
of.
  Lorraine in Quincy, WA, where I like to wander and enjoy my garden
without the fear of having the Iris trashed by animals running through.