Re: HYB: seedlings

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:42:54 -0600 (MDT)

Griff Crump in Va said:
> you should give them a good morning watering)
> after transplanting, so that the seedlings don't go dormant too early.
> If they do, you probably won't get bloom the following spring.

And even if you do water and fertilize, if you are selecting for the
slower growing, most freeze resistant ones, or ones that don't like
having their roots disturbed, and your location isn't all that good for
irises, they won't bloom the following spring anyway.  Most of my
pallida crosses took at least 3 years to bloom, and their progeny and
offspring of the winter/summer dormant ones are similarly slow.  It will
be interesting to see if I can get the rebloomer children to mature
faster.

Linda Mann east Tennessee heat wave USA