Re: The lathe between thing

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: The lathe between thing
  • From: Lorraine Miller <lcmiller@televar.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 22:20:31 -0600 (MDT)

Tammy asks about "the lathe between"
  It is simply my method of marking the Iris clumps when I've let them
get so large that I'm not sure where one ends and the other begins.
When I plant I try to space them so they can remain in place for several
years, but some of these clumps have been growing in the same spot for
five, or maybe more, years.  So while they are in bloom I mark the
clumps with a piece of lathe between them.  I buy bundles of them at the
lumber yard and they are easily broken into 2 or more pieces.  I don't
know if anyone else does this.  It's just a method I came up with.

Lorraine, in Quincy, WA where I spent the day redoing labels which faded
out over the winter, and enjoying being out there with all those
beautiful blooms.  So many historics and older Iris, but still as lovely
as the newer ones.  And yes, the hound is still around and trying to get
friendlier.