RE: Median bloom in Ottawa (long message) was SDB Bloom in Utah

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Median bloom in Ottawa (long message) was SDB Bloom in Utah
  • From: Mark.Maureen@FIN.GC.CA
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 00:23:44 -0600 (MDT)

Jeff,
I can't believe that you're in peak SDB bloom.  Mine are just about
done.

The longest blooming is a seedling from Chuck Chapman -- a light blue
self with no distinguishing characteristics and perfectly good form.  It
has bloomed with the MDBs and is still blooming -- over two weeks.

Old favourites:  GINGERBREAD MAN --  nothing new has come close in this
colour class -- shimmery copper with blue beard.  BLUE LINE makes a
wonderful clump with light blue flowers accented by dark blue beard.  TU
TU TURQUOISE is a favourite because it is very early and the turquoise
spot is eyecatching.  WHAT AGAIN makes a gorgeous clump with its light
tan-violet blend standards and darker falls.  SEA URCHIN gives similar
performance and is a brown-violet blend.  COQUETTE DOLL is a gorgeous
bright violet self that shouts at you from a distance.

New SDBs that are likely to become favourites:  SKYDANCER was hybridized
by Sylvia Chapman when she was 7 and introduced last year.  It is
putting on a fabulous performance.  One rhizome put out four bloom
stalks and eleven increases.  The other had one bloom stalk and six
increases.  It is a pale yellow with bright yellow spot at the beards,
orange beard tipped blue, lightly ruffled flaring falls.  It may bloom a
full two weeks.  PEACH PETAL PIE (Niswonger 92) is a lovely ruffled
ivory with pink infusion, very delicate looking with wide hafts.  It was
disappointingly short-lived (about 5 days) but I'm hoping that as it
clumps up it will last longer.  Similarly, GEMSTAR (Marky Smith 94) was
gorgeous but short-lived.  It's is a tiny blue-violet luminata with a
white ray extending from the white beard.  It should be fabulous once it
clumps up because each bud blooms sequentially.  YAT ROCK (Niswonger 93)
put on a fabulous performance.  When we got the rhizome from Chuck
Chapman, we called him and asked if he had made a mistake.  It was the
size of a large TB rhizome.  Well, we got five bloomstalks and six
increases from the one rhizome.  It is a gorgeous wide flower with light
blue standards and pinkish buff falls highlight by a white beard tipped
red.  It has been blooming a full week.

	We are in peak IB/MTB bloom now.  New acquisitions worth
mentioning are Pink Pele (Aitken 96)  This one will bloom pink or peach
depending on your soil.  The dark purple spot will also vary in
brightness.  The clump in the southt bed bloomed light peach with a
bright purple spot.  The rhizome in the north bed that was enriched with
triple mix a number of years ago is blooming peach with a pale purple
spot.  But whatever the colouring, it makes a wonderful show.  GNU RAYZ
(Kasperek 97) has violet standards and violet edge and veins on the
falls.  It has bloomed on the short side for IBs but put out three
stalks and two increases on a first year rhizome.  We loved this one
when we saw it at the Dearborn convention.  APRICOT DROPS (Aitken 96) is
a lovely apricot MTB with slight darker spot on the falls.  BANGLES
(Miller 95) won both the Loomis and the Presidents's cups and just
bloomed today.  It is an MTB with amethyst standards and sapphire blue
falls.  Its form is like CONSUMMATION  -- round and flaring.  It is
lovely and I'm looking for great things from it.

	Old IB favourites are WILLOWWARE a blue amoena, VOILA a violet
self with purple beard, HONEY GLAZED a honey brown bitone, and RARE
EDITION a mulberry plicata.  CONSUMMATION is a blue amoena MTB.

	TB bloom is taking off now and my garden open house is two weeks
away!

	Maureen Mark
	Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)