Re: Median bloom in Ottawa (long message) was SDB Bloom in Utah

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Median bloom in Ottawa (long message) was SDB Bloom in Utah
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 21:57:49 -0600 (MDT)

> I can't believe that you're in peak SDB bloom.  Mine are just about
> done.

We had a mild winter here, but have had a chilly, cloudy, wet spring. It
warmed up a bit over the weekend, but until then the daytime temperatures
this month had been running 10 to 15 F below normal. Our iris season is
about a week behind the last two years, but close to the long term average,
while yours as I understand is about the earliest ever. Quite a few IB's
have opened here the last couple of days, but the only MTB in bloom is NEW
IDEA (with 18 stalks). HONEY GLAZED opened today with 39 stalks on a second
year clump started from a single fan rhizome planted in the summer of '96.
This is going to be the iris bloom "Year of the Decade" here - certainly in
quantity, and it looks like it will be in quality, too. Absolutely no frost
damage - incredible!

In your bloom report you mention several cultivars I have had my eye on for
a while. Your descriptions have pushed me over the edge - I can see that I
will be filling out some more order forms yet this season!