Cult: Country Sky

Bryan Yates wrote:

>   Had one small piece of Country Sky planted in August last year.  It never
> put down new roots or anything.  Didn't start growing well this spring.  I
> thought this would be a dud and dissappear one day.  Low and behold it is
> now puting up a bloom stalk after everything else is finished blooming.  I
> hope it has good roots down now and isn't killing itself trying to bloom.
> Is this normal for this plant.

I can't say specifically about COUNTRY SKY, but it sounds like it is headed
for bloomout. That being the condition in which the mother rz puts up a bloom
stalk but never puts out increases.

There is no known remedy that consistantly works to over come bloomout, but
remembering some of the earlier discussions on slicing rzs to get more
increases, I'd enjoy the bloom then slice it off way into the rz (to be sure
to get the growth point), dust it with Comet or Ag gypsum, let it dry for a
day or so and cover it with an inch of light soil mix and wait and see.

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.
http://members.home.net/jijones