Re: Iris With Accordion Like Leaves

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris With Accordion Like Leaves
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:54:49 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Ward Upham wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> I work with K-State Research & Extension and have had a question for which
> I have not been able to locate an answer.  A homeowner has had iris that
> had individual leaves that were crinkled and accordion-like.  Anyone know
> what this is?  I assume this is physiological rather than due to insect or
> disease but I'm not sure.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ward Upham, Extension Associa

	Is this a recent manifestation in the lady's garden?

The accordion-like leaf syndrome is caused by weather conditions.
There was a lot of this condition in North MS gardens in late March and
early April following the extreme drop in temperatures in March.  It was
gone by bloom season, late April, having corrected itself by the leaves
either straightening themselves out or browning and falling away from the
clump.  No harm was done to the affected plants.

		Walter Moores
		Enid Lake, MS 7/8