Re: rebloomers

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Dennis Kramb wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations on LAs, ABs, species, etc...especially ones
> that rebloom.

	Few La's rebloom.  In over 30 years of growing them, only RED ECHO
and CLAUD DAVIS actually did, although several others tried but were
struck down by frost or a freeze.

        Of the Ab's, only my own ARIL REVERIE has ever rebloomed for me.
I think Lloyd Zurbrigg has some seedlings that do.  Contact Sharon
McAllister on the list for additional information on reblooming arilbreds.

> hybrids (that's what a cal-sib is, right?)?  Do any of those rebloom?

	I would say doubtful in Cincinnati.  Check with Dave Niswonger,
whose climate would be more similar to yours than mine is.  I have bloomed
only one Calsibe, IN STITCHES, but have several others hoping and hoping
they will eventually bloom.

> Oh, by the way, I have a dream of seeing some black "self" TB (or MDB, or
> BB, or whatever) irises with bright colored beards (like gold, or blue, or
> green, or pink).  Is there such a critter???  If not, what do you think I
> could start with to try to create something like a black iris with green
> beards, etc.?
'
	Some are already out there......Ghio, Keppel, Black, and M. Smith
have some of what you are looking for.  Get their catalogs.

	You might start hybridizing with INTERPOL.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8