Re: CULT Snapping off stalks

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT Snapping off stalks
  • From: Irisborer <Irisborer@aol.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:44:46 -0600 (MDT)

>I've never been able to snap off a stalk either.  Always have to cut
>them with a sharp knife.

Well, here in the northeast, bloomstalks grow as stiff as celery (and I DON'T
mean that stuff I could tie into a knot that's in my veggie bin).  The stalk
snaps off easily at the rhizome by pressing on the very base of it with your
thumb.

In the even that you find a rubbery one, I have success with giving it a
little twist.

And I suppose a knife or scissors would be useful, if one didn't spend a good
part of every gardening day trying to find out where you laid them.... EVEN
though you wrap the handles with streamers of folurescent surveyor's tape.

Kathyguest
E. Aurora, NY... with the rumble of thunder in the distance