RE: WELL FINALLY, A BLOOM REPORT

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: WELL FINALLY, A BLOOM REPORT
  • From: rimat <terra@catskill.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:55:31 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Everyone--
haven't posted much to the list because work and the garden are taking
all of my time.  At long last, though, I actually have some bloom
stalks--and almost all of them them are in the established bed (full
sun) and most of them are un-named.  But Supersstition and Praise the
Lord, although stunted and not too terrifically healthy looking, have
bloomstalks (I put these in last summer).  All the rest of the new ones
put in last summer look terrible -- short, some with deformed leaves,
some very yellow and pale. I don't understand it becaue they are in the
same bed as the established ones which are in their second year but will
have to be divided this ummer -- they are taking over and starting to
crwod each other.
The pseuds of course continue to do their thing -- many many bloomstalks
about to open altho the pseuds themselves seem shorter this year --they
aren't of course, it's just that the pond is higher.  My purple
versicolor is abloom, and the sibs are coming along well --older ones
and the ones planted last summer.  Oddly enough, I have several
bloomstalks on my old old tbs in the shady berm.  I moved some last
summer and probably scared these and they decided it's bloom or else. I
have lost many tbs and all of my las.  When i check my list and diagrams
I'll know what's gone.  Very sad since I worked so hard last year,
spurred on by my new membership in AIS and by all the wonderful advice I
got from all of you (not to mention the plants i traded with some you
and the gifts I received).
Daylilies, peonies, dicentra, hosta andmany other of my perennials are
doing very very well, and I put several new ones in during the last week
or so.
I know it's only late May so maybe there'll be some more progress.