Re: CULT Snapping off stalks

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT Snapping off stalks
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:17:21 -0600 (MDT)

Re:

> >I've never been able to snap off a stalk either.  Always have to cut
> >them with a sharp knife.

After the posting about this I tried on the remaining stalks still left -
one snapped easily, one came with a bit of twist and four ended up
being cut since I felt I was in danger of uprooting the whole clump.
I suspect weather conditions also condition the stalk and affect how
it may snap.

Bloom report:  LINGERING SPRING (Hager '92) and I. pallida variegata
finished with all blooms Sunday.  COMING UP ROSES (Gatty '92)
bloomed today.  There will be only the terminal bloom and it (as was
LINGERING SPRING) will be be short.  Too late, too hot!  I actually
cut it since I now have the little black beetles which destroy the blooms
while I'm at work.  Never had this on TBs until this year, though the
usually later beardless (SIB, JI, SP, LA) have suffered.  Will have to
figure out some control for the pest, though on those I found the survival
rate was nil (fingers).

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7 between Abilene and Fort Worth.  Still no rain and hitting
close to 100 every day.  Might as well be the middle of July.