Cult:Bloom:HATSU KAGAMI

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Cult:Bloom:HATSU KAGAMI
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 17:37:18 -0600 (MDT)

	I think I have a favorite JI single now that the above is in
bloom.  ROYAL PAGEANT is still my favorite double, and I had no preference
with the singles until this week.  HATSU KAGAMI has falls so wide and
ruffled that it takes close inspection to realize that it is a single and
not a double.  And, it is the pinkest of the JI's I grow.

	It has an interesting story to tell, and I am hoping somebody on
the list can tell us the why's of this interesting story.    Of unknown
parentage it was hybridized by Shuichi Hirao (deceased) and introduced by
him in 1966.  However, it was not registered until 1992, the
registration having been accomplished by the Society for Japanese Irises.
Can anyone fill in the blanks between 1966 and 1992?  Also, does anybody
know if HATSU KAGAMI has progeny, for I would like to see what, if
anything, has come from it.  It seems perfect and hard to improve upon.

	George Bush of York, PA, sold me this plant two years ago, but it
waited until this year to express itself in all of its ruffled pink
glory...well worth the wait.

	Also, does the delayed registration keep it from being an antique?

	The blooms of HATSU KAGAMI have made the week!

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (where the tiny historic Sib SNOW QUEEN has
bloomed today)