OT: Volunteer plants in fill soil.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Volunteer plants in fill soil.
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:29:52 -0600 (MDT)

     I have found two interesting types of plants emerging in some soil
that was used to fill an improperly designed, (now busted) fish pond.
     One of these is definitely Coleus.  Since I have never raised Coleus
before, could someone tell me what kind of growing conditions it needs?
The place in which they have emerged is in direct sun all day, but does get
water from the Irrigation System.  The Louisiana Irises in the former fish
pond are all doing great, so that should tell how it holds moisture.
Should I leave the Coleus there, I should I move them to a shadier spot.
Right now, they are about 1.5" tall.  Temperatures recently have been
mostly 93 F to 100 F for daytime maximums.
     The other plant in question appears to be some type of Elephant Ear.
Should it be moved to a shady location.  There is no telling what else I
will find, as this soil has a number of Irises (probably Iris hexagona or
Iris giganticaerula), and has yielded a couple of Redbud Tree Seedlings.
Redbuds are native here.
     Since I never have grown Coleus or Elephant Ears, any information on
their culture will be appreciated.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.	USDA Zone 8/9   29 Degrees North Latitude.