RE: Coleus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: RE: Coleus
  • From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 07:37:50 -0600 (MDT)

Coleus prefer shade but the type of shade they get will determine the
colours that develop.  In full shade, you will larger areas of green in
the leaves.  This is nice for some varieties where you get a
predominantly green leaf and red veins.  I prefer to grow my coleus
where it gets morning sun and then dappled shade (provided by deciduous
trees) for the rest of the day.  Indoors, I grow them right up against
the window.  About a foot away from the window, you get the same effect
as full shade.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)