Re: TB Show

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TB Show
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 19:05:48 -0600 (MDT)

Barbara Mann wrote:
> So, Griff, how did your puppies do?
> Barb in Santa Fe, where it's nearly two weeks til our show, and my seedlings
> are going to finish opening this week, I think.

Barb -- By now, you probably have read my posting in reply to Phyllis
Semenas, so I won't burden the list with repetition. As an item which
may be of interest to other hybridizers, however, I would note that I
also had in the show a peach-colored seedling of 9 buds that I thought
was worthy of introduction. The judges passed it by without a second
glance. The reason, I believe, is that the flourescent lighting of the
show room washed out the depth of color in the flower. This, I believe,
is a good illustration of the importance of garden judging, since some
flowers fare much better in natural light than in artifical. A good
example of this is LUMALITE (J.T. Aitken '95, SDB). It is an impressive
enough flower under artificial lighting, but take it outside and it
fairly glows! So, if you think you have an introducible plant, you
should send it around the country so that it can be seen in a few

Sounds like you, too, have had an early spring. It's tough to watch your
beauties bloom out before the show. But, as Scarlett said, "tomorrow is
another day."