Re: CULT: Bloom Report now Fading Process in Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Bloom Report now Fading Process in Irises
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:02:16 -0600 (MDT)

Sharon wrote:

> A flower is a process, not an event.
>
> The Case of the Fading Arilbreds involves
> two separate factors.....
>
> First, arils and arilbreds do not open full-size,
> but rather the bud opens and the flower =
>
> expands for at least a day.  This is marked
> at first, then gradually slows, making it hard to
> say exactly when the flower reaches its full
> size, but the result is a thinning of pigmentation
> so that the color becomes less saturated.  For
> a simple pigmentation pattern, the color
> appears lighter but otherwise unchanged.

> Second, many of the more exotic color>
> combinations are created by layers of pigment.
> As a layer burns off, the color itself appears
> to change.

These comments along with the snipped portions of the
original post touch on a question I had in an earlier post.
Do these comments apply to TBs and other irises as well?
It seems logical that many of the same factors would be
present in some degree.  Also, is there any way to determine
before a purchase which ones might fade gracefully as
opposed to those which go blah?  I am also assuming there
are climate factors involved.  I doubt the Texas and New Mexico
sunshine is comparable to that in Oregon and Washington, but
it might apply at higher altitudes in those areas.  False
assumptions?

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7 - between Abilene and Fort Worth