Bloom report

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Bloom report
  • From: Dorothy Fingerhood <daf10@cornell.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:12:41 -0600 (MDT)

What a weird season!  Some of almost everything has popped into bloom at
once.  Things should slow down now that our 80 degree weather went to the
50's, and down to the 40s tonight.  Sure was a short summer this year!

FAIRY LORE (SDB) is just finishing up.  Such an enchanting pink/pink plic
flower, but the foliage is the pits.  APRICOT DROPS (MTB) is a winner, as
in previous years.  PAYOFF (MTB) is new to me this year and I like it very
much.  VIBRANT ROSE is doing very well--too well, as it has grown out of
class; seems to be the only MTB doing that this year.  RAINDANCE KID (IB)
is certainly not new, but such a nice, different shade of blue.  Looks
spectacular next to ol' PEACHY FACE (IB), which is even older, but pleases
me every year with its somewhat tailored buff flower which sports a
distinctive peach colored area below the beards.  WHITE LILACS (IB) is also
an oldie but goodie.

Speaking of oldies--I am seeing QUAKER LADY in person for the first time,
and can understand the praise I've heard.  I'm also seeing JOSEPH'S COAT
for the first time--what a delightful old novelty!  The standards are cream
yellow, splashed darker yellow.  Falls are purple/'magenta with the yellow
splashes.  Really striking, and what's more delightful--the two rhizomes I
received from two different sources are both blooming identically.

BEST BET (TB) is the I-love-it/ I hate it type.  l like the flower, which
is kind  of a bluer version of MYSTIQUE (TB) (but with much 'noisier'
hafts).  But it has a disturbing tendency to rot.  On the other hand, the
terminal buds which were frozen/rotted over winter have already been
replaced by adjacent side stalks which are now in full bloom--so things
kind of even out.  Just as long as the growth outruns the rot!  It has just
4 buds per stalk here--how about elsewhere?

VANITY is it's usual tried and true self.  It certainly is outperforming
80-90% of the tall beardeds.  THEATRE has opened a perfect lower flower on
a  cold-damaged stalk.  THOTMES III lost its bloomstalks---again (!).  I
have seen it bloom in Ithaca, but it doesn't seem to like my somewhat
higher and colder area.

BETTY SIMON has come thru again.  Guess that's why this older iris has
out-lasted EDITH WOLFORD in my garden, though EDITH had the ruffles and
BETTY doesn't!

  BANGLES (MTB) is as enchanting this year as it has been every year since
I saw it at the National in PA., rushed home and sent off an order for it
POST-HASTE, before Lynda Miller could sell out!  My MTB collection has been
growing, as they consistently out-perform TBs here in difficult years.

A few surprises, as usual.  In spite of my obsessive care when moving
plants, the clump of ESTHER THE QUEEN is two-thirds ESTHER, and one-third
???  Certainly not Esther!  Speaking of aril-breds, Gadd's BOZRAH is very
nice.  Striking blue standards, falls gray-blue, heavily washed maroon.
The colors seem especially intense--it has been a cloudy day!

I. aphylla (Hungary) delighted me by "coming back" from it's perfectly
deciduous state over winter; now it's purple flowers with sparse white
beards are also pleasing.

How's that for an eclectic bunch of bloom?  And the Siberian SHAKER'S
PRAYER is in bud!

Dorothy Fingerhood
daf10@cornell.edu
(Newfield, NY)