Re: Deeper and Deeper into Iris addiction

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Deeper and Deeper into Iris addiction
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:46:52 -0600 (MDT)

>I have a walkway with narrow (12"-15" wide) beds along one side of my
house.They are protected on one side by a 5' solid fence and the other
side by the house. Gets very little (maybe 1 1/2 hours) direct sun
during the summer. Even less in the winter.

Is it dry or damp? I think Siberians like a fair amount of sun. Evansias
might do well here, they tollerate a lot of shade, and there are a few
types available. Maybe you could hybridise them and come up with some
interesting ones yourself.
If you dug the bed out and lined it with plastic, replaced and enriched
the soil (with well rotted cow manure), LA's might do OK.
You may find that even though there is little direct sun, there is a
fair amout of reflected light, and heat, from the wall.
I'm trying a few new things out here too. I've found a damp place to try
some LA's (don't ask where) so I'm taking the plunge.
Jan Clark