Re: Deeper and Deeper into Iris addiction

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Deeper and Deeper into Iris addiction
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:58:47 -0600 (MDT)

John Jones asked:

<<  I have a walkway with narrow (12"-15" wide) beds along one side of my
house.
 They are protected on one side by a 5' solid fence and the other side by the
 house. Gets very little (maybe 1 1/2 hours) direct sun during the summer.
Even
 less in the winter.>>

John, I hate to be a party pooper but I don't think it is suitable for irises.
That is not much light even for shade tolerant things, and those beds are
really very narrow and the ventilation cannot be very good, unless it is a
wind tunnel going through there. Tectorums, cristata,  or foetidissima might
take the shade, but it sounds rather closed-in to me and I think I'd go with
something else altogether, probably nice rocks and ferns, which might even
relish the area. Very fond of my little fernery here. Nice place for a
collection of minature hostas, and ivies, too.

Anner Whitehead, Richmond,VA  USDA 7
Henry Hall  Henryanner@aol.com