Spuria height

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Spuria height
  • From: "Robert Dickow" <dickow@uidaho.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:43:28 -0600 (MDT)

I bought a couple of spuria iris from Van Bourgondien.
They are up now and doing well (varieties Butter Paddle
and Eleanor Hill).

The catalog listed these and several others as growing 18
to 20 inches tall. Well, I didn't believe Van Bourgondien
based on past experience with their catalog descriptions
of various plants' habits, so I put them in places expecting
maybe 4 or 5 foot heights. I have an old white spuria
(orientalis?) that gets easily 5 feet tall, so I went with
some of my book descriptions of spuria hybrids being on the
tall side. Maybe some of you spuria enthusiasts know the
clones I planted and can clue me in.

Many visitors to my garden find the white spurias really
impressive. I find them enchantingly gangly. Do many people
grow these. I might buy some more.

I moved the white spurias a couple of years ago and, true
to form, they skipped a year of bloom. They are much better
off now, though, and are showing lots of buds swelling in
the stems.

*       Bob Dickow  (dickow@uidaho.edu)     \\// *
* Associate Professor of Horn/Theory/Composition *
*  Lionel Hampton School of Music/Univ of Idaho  *
*     URL:   http://www.uidaho.edu/~dickow/      *