Re: CULT: Fading Process in Irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Fading Process in Irises
  • From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 09:56:53 -0600 (MDT)

	Bill Shear wrote:

>The subject of fading is apropos at this moment--we have bloom on the
>Siberian BUTTER AND SUGAR.  This opens with very pale yellow falls here and
>about an hour after the sun hits it, turns to all white.  Yet one sees
>catalog photos (Wayside, etc.) which show it with bright yellow falls.  Is
>this dependent on climate--could someone from the cooler part of the
>country report?

	Here in Zone 3, the falls on BUTTER & SUGAR *stay* yellow for
	the duration of bloom. We have very cool summers. We went around
	on this B & S bloom a couple of years ago on the list, I think. It
	may have been in private mail, can't remember.

	I do have three clumps of B & S, from two different suppliers and
	one is not as yellow as the others. This may be a function of the

	acid soil here, the extreme cold winter and the culture?? Just
	asking...I also have noticed if it doesn't open *real* yellow, it
	will look like creamy white in 2 days. This is on the cultivar that
	is not as yellow or hasn't bloomed as intense yellow. Our individual
	blooms last about 3 days in good color. Blossoms typically last up
	to 4 - 5 days here and that includes bearded irises, especially SDBs.

>Can anyone fill us in on progress toward REAL yellow Siberians?

	I wish I could but maybe the hybridizers will jump in. I am first
	in line to buy them though. :))

	Cheers,

	Ellen

	Ellen Gallagher  / e_galla@moose.ncia.net
	Siberian iris robin   /   sibrob@ncia.net
	Northern New Hampshire, USA / USDA Zone 3